Meet Dr. Sudeep Pramanik
Dr. Sudeep Pramanik is a board certified ophthalmologist and Fellow in the American College of Surgeons specializing in cornea and external disease. He completed his internship at Virginia Mason Medical Center in Seattle, Washington. His residency and fellowship of cornea and external disease was completed at the University of Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa. He also completed an MBA at Rice University's Jones School of Management, graduating among the top of his class as a Jones Scholar.
As a corneal specialist, Dr. Pramanik offers all methods of corneal transplantation (PKP/ DLEK / DALK / DMEK / DSEK / and keratoprosthesis), complex cataract surgery by referral, refractive surgery, ocular tumor surgery, and reconstruction of the front portion of the eye.
As an Associate Professor at Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute and Clinical Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at the University of Maryland, Dr. Pramanik has taught routine and complex cataract surgery techniques to residents for almost a decade. He has also taught management of corneal disease and surgery to fellows who are now faculty across the world.
Dr. Pramanik is passionate about helping fight blindness. He has been to India numerous times to teach courses at the Aravind Eye Hospital, the Vittala International Institute of Ophthalmology in Bangalore, and the Disha Eye Hospital in Barrackpore.
Inspired by their desire to teach new techniques to surgeons overseas, Dr. Pramanik and colleagues from Hopkins founded the International Cornea Foundation They have developed a model of continuity of training with surgeons in India. Unlike other programs that visit an area once, the ICF supports its local surgeons for years, enabling them to adopt new technology in cataract surgery and eye banking. Started in India, the model is now expanding to Africa in conjunction with our friend, Dr. Fasika Woreta, an Assistant Professor at the Wilmer Eye Institute and Bloomberg School of Public Health.
To learn more about supporting the educational and research projects of the ICF, click here.
Dr. Pramanik is married to York County's Oncologist of the Year, Dr. Reena Pramanik. They live with her parents and their three boys. They used to have hobbies, but now spend their free time chauffeuring the kids to swimming, karate and scouts.
- 2004 American Academy of Ophthalmology: "Extended long-term outcomes of penetrating keratoplasty for keratoconus"
- 2005 American Academy of Ophthalmology: "Correlation between Interface Opacity and Visual Acuity to Deep Lamellar Endothelial Keratoplasty (DLEK)
- 2006 Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Meeting: One Year Results After Combine Phacoemulsification and Deep Lamellar Endothelial Keratoplasty (Phaco/DLEK)
- 2006 Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Meeting: Evaluation of Changes in Intraocular Pressure and Incidence of Glaucoma in Following Endothelial Keratoplasty.
- 2008 Eye Bank Association of America
- 2009 Unite for Sight Conference
- 2009 All India Opthalmological Society
- 2010 Unite for Sight Conference
- 2011 Cornea Conference at Aravind Hospital
- 2012 American Academy of Ophthalmology. "A Multicenter Study of the Incidence of Descemet Stripping Endothelial Keratoplasty Rejection."
- 2015 World Cornea Congress VII. "A Multicenter Study of the Incidence of Endothelial Keratoplasty Rejection."
- 2015 Cornea Society Fall Educational Symposium, Las Vegas, NV. "Time between Tissue Preparation and Use on Endothelial Cell Viability in Endothelial Keratoplasty."
- 2016 Maryland Society of Eye Physicians, Baltimore, MD. "Corneal Transplant Surgery Techniques and Indications."
- 2016 Maryland Society of Eye Physicians, Baltimore, MD. "Simple Versus Complex Cataract Surgery."
- 2016 Cornea Society Fall Educational Symposium.
- 2017 American Society of Catarct and Refractive Surgeons, Los Angeles, CA. "Effect of Cold-Storage Time on Endothelial Cell Viability and Pre-Stripped DMEK Corneal Donor Graft Tissue."
- 2017 American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, Los Angeles, CA. "Long-Term Visual Outcomes of Superficial Keratectomy with Diamond Burr Polishing for Anterior Basement Membrane Dystrophy and recurrent Erosion Syndrome."
- 2017 Maryland Society of Eye Physicians, Baltimore, MD. "Amniotic Membrane in Ocular Surface Reconstruction."
- 2017 American Academy of OPhthalmology, New Orleans, LA. "Instruction Course in Advanced Techniques in Endothelial Keratoplasty."
2018 American Academy of Ophthalmology, Chicago, IL. "Endothelial Cell Viability of Pre-prepared DMEK and DSEK Donor Grafts."
2019 American Academy of Ophthalmology, San Francisco, CA. "Practice Patterns and Cost of Treating Positive Fungal Corneoscleral Rim Cultures following Corneal Transplant.
2020 American Academy of Ophthalmology, "Risk Factors for Graft Failure after Endothelial Keratoplasty: An IRIS® Registry Analysis."
- S Pramanik, JE Sutphin, AA Farjo. “Ultra long-term outcomes of penetrating keratoplasty for keratoconus.” Presented at the Paton Society Meeting, Oct 2004, New Orleans, LA, paper submitted to Ophthalmology.
- C. Robinson, MD, S. Pramanik, MD, K.M. Goins, MD, J.E. Sutphin, MD, W.L. Alward, MD, E.C. Greenlee, MD, Y.H. Kwon, MD, PhD. “ Evaluation Of Changes In Intraocular Pressure And Incidence Of Glaucoma Following Endothelial Keratoplasty” In Press
- Davis TC, Holcombe RF, Berkel HJ, Pramanik S, Divers SG. “Informed consent for clinical trials: a comparative study of standard versus simplified forms.” Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 1998 May 6;90(9):668-74.
- Zurawin RK and S Pramanik. “Endometrial balloon ablation as a therapy for intractable uterine bleeding in an adolescent.” Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. Aug 2001, 14:119-21.
- Rodgers PA, S Pramanik, PA Dennery and DK Stevenson. “Effects of starvation on hepatic heme oxygenase in adult rats.” Journal of Investigative Medicine. Jan 1996, 44: 145A.
- Lass JH, Szczotka-Flynn LB, Ayala AR, Pramanik S et al. Cornea Preservation Time Study: Methods and Potential Impact on the Cornea Donor Pool in the United States. Cornea. 2015;34(6):601-608. doi:10.1097/ICO.0000000000000417
- Lass JH, Benetz BA, Verdier DD, Szczotka-Flynn LB, Ayala AR, Liang W, Aldave AJ, Dunn SP, McCall T, Mian SI, Vavarro LC, Patel SV, Pramanik S, Rosenwasser GO, Ross KW, Terry MA, Kollman C, Gal RL, Beck RW; Cornea Preservation Time Study: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017 Nov 10. doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2017.4970.
- Wandling GR, Parikh M, Robinson C, Pramanik S, Goins KM, Sutphin JE, Alward WL, Greenlee EC, Kwon YC, Wagoner MD. "Escalation of glaucoma therapy after deep lamellar endothelial keratoplasty." Cornea, 2010 Sep;29(9):991-5.
- Pramanik S, Musch DE, Sutphin JE, Farjo AA. "Extended long-term outcomes of penetrating keratoplasty for keratoconus." Ophthalmology. 2006, Sep;113(9):1633-8. Epub 2006 Jul 7.
Wandling, GR, Parikh M, Robinson C, Pramanik SN, Goins KM, Sutphin JE, Alward WL, Greenlee EC, Kwon YC, Wagoner MD. “Escalation of glaucoma therapy after deep lamellar endothelial keratoplasty.” Cornea. 2010 Sep;29(9):991-5Lass JH, Szczotka-Flynn LB, Ayala AR, Benetz BA, Gal RL, Aldave AJ, Corrigan MM, Dunn SP, McCall TL, Pramanik S, Rosenwasser GO, Ross KW, Terry MA, Verdier DD; Writing Committee for the Cornea Preservation Time Study Group. “Cornea preservation time study: methods and potential impact on the cornea donor pool in the United States” Cornea. 2015 Jun;34(6):601-8.
- Rosenwasser GO, Szczotka-Flynn LB, Ayala AR, Liang W, Aldave AJ, Dunn SP, McCall T, Navarro LC, Pramanik S, Ross KW, Stulting RD, Terry MA, Tu EY, Verdier DD, Kollman C, Gal RL, Beck RW, Lass JH; Cornea Preservation Time Study Group. Effect of Cornea Preservation Time on Success of Descemet Stripping Automated Endothelial Keratoplasty: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017 Nov 10. doi: 10.1001.
- Lass JH, Benetz BA, Verdier DD, Szczotka-Flynn LB, Ayala AR, Liang W, Aldave AJ, Dunn SP, McCall T, Mian SI, Navarro LC, Patel SV, Pramanik S, Rosenwasser GO, Ross KW, Terry MA, Kollman C, Gal RL, Beck RW; Cornea Preservation Time Study Group. Corneal Endothelial Cell Loss 3 Years After Successful Descemet Stripping Automated Endothelial Keratoplasty in the Cornea Preservation Time Study: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017 Nov 10. doi: 10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2017.4970.
Mian SI, Aldave AJ, Tu EY, Ayres BD, Jeng BH, Macsai MS, Nordlund ML, Penta JG, Pramanik S, Szczotka-Flynn LB, Ayala AR, Liang W, Maguire MG, Lass JH. Incidence and Outcomes of Positive Donor Rim Cultures and Infections in the Cornea Preservation Time Study. Cornea. 2018 Sep;37(9):1102-1109Terry MA, Aldave AJ, Szczotka-Flynn LB, Liang W, Ayala AR, Maguire MG, Croasdale C, Daoud YJ, Dunn SP, Hoover CK, Macsai MS, Mauger TF, Pramanik S, Rosenwasser GOD, Rose-Nussbaumer J, Stulting RD, Sugar A, Tu EY, Verdier DD, Yoo SH, Lass JH; Cornea Preservation Time Study GroupDonor, Recipient, and Operative Factors Associated with Graft Success in the Cornea Preservation Time Study. Ophthalmology. 2018 Aug 9. pii: S0161-6420(18)31672-5. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2018.08.002.
- Saujyana Vadoothker, MD, Nishant Soni, MD, Sheindel Ifrah, BA, Sudeep Pramanik, MD, MBA, Angelique Pillar, MD. Endothelial Cell Viability of Pre- Processed DSEK and DMEK Corneal Donor Transplants. International Journal of Eye Banking. 2020 Vol. 8, No 1