It is important to seek medical attention for any eye or eyelid injuries, foreign bodies in the eye, or sudden changes in vision. The eye is easily damaged and even minor cuts, scratches, and irritation can lead to vision loss if left untreated.
Emergency care may be necessary in the following situations:
- There is a visible scratch or cut on the eye
- The eyes have been exposed to a hazardous chemical
- Eyes are painful, itchy, and red and are not relieved with over-the-counter products
- Eye pain is accompanied by a headache or nausea
- Bleeding or discharge around the eye
- There is a sudden change in vision
- Eyes are suddenly more sensitive to light
- Foreign body stuck in the eye
- Flashing lights in vision
Our doctors at Mid Atlantic Cornea are highly trained to diagnose and manage ocular emergencies. Please call our office right away if you are experiencing any of the above symptoms.