Meet Dr. Pramanik
Dr. Sudeep Pramanik is a board certified ophthalmologist and Fellow in the American Academy of Ophthalmology specializing in cornea and external disease. He completed his internship at Virginia Mason Medical Center in Seattle, Washington. His residency and fellowship of cornea and external disease was completed at the University of Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa. He also completed an MBA at Rice University's Jones School of Management, graduating among the top of his class as a Jones Scholar.
As a corneal specialist, Dr. Pramanik offers all methods of corneal transplantation (PKP/ DLEK / DALK / DMEK / DSEK / and keratoprosthesis), complex cataract surgery by referral, refractive surgery, ocular tumor surgery, and reconstruction of the front portion of the eye.
As an Assistant Professor at Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute, Dr. Pramanik teaches routine and complex cataract surgery techniques to residents. He also teaches management of corneal disease, corneal surgery, and refractive surgery to residents. Currently, he is working on a database to track improvement in safety and outcomes in their teaching program.
Dr. Pramanik is passionate about helping fight blindness. He has been to India numerous times to teach courses at the Aravind Eye Hospital, the Vittala International Institute of Ophthalmology in Bangalore, and the Disha Eye Hospital in Barrackpore.
While on his most recent trip to India in January 2011, Dr. Pramanik was recognized and awarded for helping to develop an endothelial keratoplasty program for Aravind Eye Hospital. He has trained several of their faculty in advance keratoplasty techniques including DSEK and DALK, enabling them to help countless others by performing these surgeries in the highest volume charity eye hospital system in the world.
Dr. Pramanik has also traveled with ORBIS to teach pediatric keratoplasty in India. ORBIS is a non profit organization that provides eye care to countries in need. Since its first program in 1982, ORBIS volunteer doctors and other experienced volunteers have provided care to over 85 countries including Bangladesh, China, Ethiopia, India, Vietnam, Peru, and Jamaica. Instead of creating short term assistance, ORBIS volunteer doctors teach and train local doctors so they can provide their own local eye care. ORBIS has the world's only Flying Eye Hospital, with a teaching facility and an ophthalmic surgical center aboard. Learn more about ORBIS, saving sight worldwide.
- 2004 American Academy of Ophthalmology: "Extended long-term outcomes of penetrating keratoplasty for keratoconus"
- 2005 American Academy of Ophthalmology: "Correlation between Interface Opacity and Visual Acuity to Deep Lamellar Endothelial Keratoplasty (DLEK)
- 2006 Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Meeting: One Year Results After Combine Phacoemulsification and Deep Lamellar Endothelial Keratoplasty (Phaco/DLEK)
- 2006 Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Meeting: Evaluation of Changes in Intraocular Pressure and Incidence of Glaucoma in Following Endothelial Keratoplasty.
- 2008 Eye Bank Association of America
- 2009 Unite for Sight Conference
- 2009 All India Opthalmological Society
- 2010 Unite for Sight Conference
- 2011 Cornea Conference at Aravind Hospital
- S Pramanik, JE Sutphin, AA Farjo. “Ultra long-term outcomes of penetrating keratoplasty for keratoconus.” Presented at the Paton Society Meeting, Oct 2004, New Orleans, LA, paper submitted to Ophthalmology.
- C. Robinson, MD, S. Pramanik, MD, K.M. Goins, MD, J.E. Sutphin, MD, W.L. Alward, MD, E.C. Greenlee, MD, Y.H. Kwon, MD, PhD. “ Evaluation Of Changes In Intraocular Pressure And Incidence Of Glaucoma Following Endothelial Keratoplasty” In Press
- Davis TC, Holcombe RF, Berkel HJ, Pramanik S, Divers SG. “Informed consent for clinical trials: a comparative study of standard versus simplified forms.” Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 1998 May 6;90(9):668-74.
- Zurawin RK and S Pramanik. “Endometrial balloon ablation as a therapy for intractable uterine bleeding in an adolescent.” Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. Aug 2001, 14:119-21.
- Rodgers PA, S Pramanik, PA Dennery and DK Stevenson. “Effects of starvation on hepatic heme oxygenase in adult rats.” Journal of Investigative Medicine. Jan 1996, 44: 145A.
- Lass JH, Szczotka-Flynn LB, Ayala AR, Pramanik S et al. Cornea Preservation Time Study: Methods and Potential Impact on the Cornea Donor Pool in the United States. Cornea. 2015;34(6):601-608. doi:10.1097/ICO.0000000000000417